27 August 2019 Vacancy: Postdoctoral Fellowship TB Immunology NOW CLOSED
We are inviting applications for a postdoctoral fellowship in human immunology to conduct research aimed at identifying lung immune signatures of resistance to natural M.tb infection in a multi-cohort study.
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Tuberculosis Immunology
South African Tuberculosis Vaccine Initiative, University of Cape Town
The South African Tuberculosis Vaccine Initiative (www.satvi.uct.ac.za) performs cutting edge clinical immunology
research in TB pathogenesis, correlates of risk of TB and vaccine development. We are inviting applications for a
postdoctoral fellowship in human immunology to conduct research aimed at identifying lung immune signatures of
resistance to natural M.tb infection in a multi-cohort study. The postdoctoral fellow will be based in Cape Town, but
will have the opportunity to regularly interact with international partners.
The successful candidate will assist with the design, development, performance and analysis of mass and flow
cytometry-based assays in human cells collected by brocho-alveolar lavage.
• Ph.D. in immunology, or related field within the past 5 years
• Flow cytometry experience. Mass cytometry experience is desirable.
• Excellent presentation skills
• Successful scientific writing skills
• Core Competencies:
• Demonstrated solid scientific proficiency, creativity, critical thinking ability to collaborate effectively with others,
and independent thought processes.
• Ability to handle multiple projects and priorities with exceptional organizational and time management skills.
• Skills in the application of computational or statistical analytical techniques (using RStudio) with a focus on highdimensional and multivariate data analysis.
The candidate should not have held any prior permanent professional or academic positions and must be prepared to
comply with the policies, procedures and practices for the postdoctoral sector at the University of Cape Town. The
fellowship is initially tenable for three years, but renewal each year will be contingent on annual progress and
performance reviews. The fellowship is valued between R320,000 and R400,000 per year and will depend on relevant
experience and skills. The fellowship is compliant with the rules set by the SARS and is exempt from taxation and
includes no benefits. No direct service will be required in return for the fellowship.
Potential applicants are encouraged to contact Dr Elisa Nemes, Senior Scientist, by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org prior
To apply, please email a letter of motivation, full CV and contact details of 3 referees, clearly indicating “Postdoctoral
Fellowship” in the subject line, to Mrs Alison September at email@example.com.
The University of Cape Town reserves the right to:
disqualify ineligible, incomplete and/or inappropriate applications,
change the conditions of award or to make no awards at all.