23 October 2019 Vacancy: Laboratory Technologist
South African Tuberculosis Vaccine Initiative (SATVI), located within Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine (IDM) at the Faculty of Health Sciences invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for a 24-month contract position of Laboratory Technologist. The appointee will work at SATVI Field Site Laboratory, on the premises of Brewelskloof Hospital, Worcester, Western Cape.
* Please note that this position is based at the Worcester field site.
• National Diploma/B.Tech in Biomedical Technology/B.Sc in Health Sciences.
• Registration with the HPCSA if Biomedical Technologist, not applicable for B.Sc.
• Good written and spoken English.
• A valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
• Minimum 2 years post-qualification experience in a Biomedical, Clinical or Research Laboratory.
• Computer literacy skills particularly Microsoft Package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Internet.
• Demonstrate ability to aliquot samples using a micropipette.
• Human relations ability and great sense of responsibility and accountability.
• Decision-making and problem-solving skills.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Results-focused work approach with attention to detail.
• Willingness and ability to work in shifts according to operational need.
• In-service training/experience in Laboratory QMS, GCLP, GLP or GCP is an added advantage.
• Knowledge and interest in blood processing for immunological end point assays e.g. PBMC processing is an added advantage.
• Ability to use of a light microscope