18 April 2015 Vacancy Postdoctoral Fellowship
The South African Tuberculosis Vaccine Initiative performs cutting edge clinical, epidemiological and immunological research in TB pathogenesis, biomarkers and clinical vaccine development. We are inviting applications for a postdoctoral fellowship within our dynamic group to conduct research on immunology of TB vaccines and biomarkers. The fellow will be based primarily in Cape Town, but will be expected to visit to our Clinical Field Site in Worcester, 110km from Cape Town. The project will entail characterization of non-conventional immunological effects of TB vaccination, development and standardization of immunological assays, as well as immunological oversight of clinical trials of new TB vaccines.
The scope of the research provides opportunities to work in collaboration with global leaders in vaccinology, systems biology and specialists in innate and T cell immunology.
The fellowship awarded to the successful incumbent will be valued between R260,000 and R320,000 and will depend on relevant experience and skills. The fellowship is compliant with the rules set by the SARS and is exempt from taxation and includes no benefits. No direct service will be required in return for the fellowship.
- PhD in immunology, or related field
- Flow cytometry experience
- Successful scientific writing skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Demonstrated solid scientific proficiency, creativity, critical and independent thinking
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with others
- Ability to multitask and prioritize with exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Experience with clinical trials
- Excellent knowledge of adaptive and innate immunity
- Experience with TB and/or HIV immunology
- Computational skills to analyse high-dimensional datasets
- The successful incumbent must be prepared to comply with the University’s approved policies, procedures and practices for the postdoctoral sector.
Interested applicants are encouraged to contact Dr Elisa Nemes, Research Officer, on telephone +27 21 404 7608 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org prior to application.
To apply, please email a letter of motivation, full CV (no certificates) and contact details of 3 referees, clearly indicating “Postdoctoral Fellowship” in the subject line, to Mrs Keshia Trussel at email@example.com or fax to +27 21 4066693.
Closing date for applications: 31 May 2015.
The Advert may be viewed on the University of Cape Town Vacancies website. Click here to download.